Monday, September 27, 2010

Preparing

Nick's back from Croatia. All he's said so far about it is that it's beautiful, the food sucks, and the people aren't fun to look at.

I never get stressed about packing, but my family is quite determined to make sure I have enough supplies to survive a nuclear holocaust or stampede of vengeful bison. The more I pack the less exciting the journey becomes. I know some is neccessary or at least smart, and some are simply fun items I'm bringing for personal use, such as a guitar and video camera. But before I leave my car will contain a road flare, emergency poncho, hand sanitizer, sleeping bags, guide books, medical supplies, GPS, gas syphen, extra large plastic clips, blankets, towels, clothes, construction tools, jumper cables, laptop, and others I can't think on the spot. With the weight of all this, as well as food and drinks and a passenger, the gas mileage is going to drop faster than a Pinto with a parachute. There is something more human in just driving on Route 70 with a goal as good but vague as "clean energy internship" and personal management as basic as "get there in 4 days and don't run out of gas or food."

I'm not anti-technology by any means. My only problem with it is that it is a good thing in theory but when abused, it can rip or warp things like friendship, romance, and adventure. Texting is useful but who texts only when it's useful? How often have you been at a party where people are lounging around, glued to their phones? Inconvenience brings out the intelligence and courage in all of us. We ask people for directions when we are lost, we introduce ourselves to strangers at parties because there aren't any other options other than leaving. Once everything is too convenient, we don't see the need to do anything that could be a hassle, even if it's just calling a friend, going on a date, or paying a gas station attendent in person.

It is difficult for me as well, to be a daring human yet use ample technology. That's why when I travel, I don't want the temptation. I don't want to text or look at Youtube. And although I'll be putting in some hours for a company I work for online, and will probably update this blog, I want to stay away from the internet as much as possible. I want to breathe new air, really cleanse myself.

Kansas will be the hardest part of the journey, since we have to drive directly through it for 193 miles. It has the smallest section in the guidebooks because there just isn't much there. But Colorado is at the end of it, like a trophy. A friend of mine said Kansas does have gorgeous sunsets, so I am still optimistic about the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment